Previous attendance at either a Barefoot Blacksmith standard workshop or one of our affiliated trainers’ standard workshops (no exceptions!)
This 2 day workshop aims to:
Refresh and consolidate basic maintenance trimming and take your hoof management knowledge,
observation and practical skills to a higher level. We aim to help solve any problems you may be having;
either with your horse handling/tool skills/trimming or your horse’s progression as a barefoot mount. We
will also update you with recent developments in the continuing evolution of equine hoof care.
Content: (spread over 2 full days)
There will be a mix of theory, demonstrations and supervised trimming over two full days, including:
- recognition of normal hooves
- variations of normal
- recognising and managing imbalance and hoof deformity
- functional hoof science update
- good hoof versus bad hoof (observations and palpations)- managing common pathologies such as navicular, ringbone, side bone, laminitis
- variation between breeds and equestrian disciplines
- biomechanical pathways between hoof and body
- the effects of shoes
- tool selection and maintenance
- workplace ergonomics; making a hard job easier
- hoof protection update, including: boots, pads, tips, polyurethane shoes
- slow motion footage of horses in motion
- class discussion about any problems you maybe encountering with your horses
Who is the clinic for?
People who have previously attended a Barefoot Blacksmith trimming workshop (or one of our affiliated
trainers’ workshops) and are wanting to progress further with their knowledge and trimming skills.